Saturday, June 5, 2010

Juba: First Days

We arrived in Juba on Thursday and have been settling in. Our housing is very nice, with running water and a refrigerator. We have been welcomed to the University by the deans and have begun to plan for our teaching. I will be teaching histology with the microscopes we brought with us, and biochemistry as well. The schedule is set, and we are preparing for Monday.

We met with the students this morning, and they are amazing. So hungry for knowledge, so ambitious. I think we have the opportunity to make a great impact here not only by teaching, but by listening to their stories and learning. I know I will learn more from them than they will learn from me, and I hope we can provide needed structure and engage in the study of medicine together.

So far the internet at the school has not worked, so we have found a hotel with internet for now. Hopefully they will get the school internet up at some point and I will be able to update from there.

1 comment:

  1. so far so good, and well written commentary. This will be an excellant diary of your experience. can't wait to hear(read) more. Dad

    ReplyDelete